Past Outings

Tahoe Ski Outing

By Timothy F
Our trip to Tahoe was a great trip. The car ride up was uneventful, but once we got there, we put all our energy to work! Throwing snowballs, sledding and tackling each other inthe snow and in the cabins. By lights out, we still had energy, bu the prospect of skiing and snowboarding helped us get to tomorrow. The next days were a blur of skiing, snowboarding and SNOW! Everyone had a great time, even myself, although I had to sit in the lodge all day, both days. On Tuesday morning, we were all sad that we had to go, but we had a great time. It was great to leave though because we were all tired. All together, we had a great time, and for once I can't wait to go back next year.

Climbing at Castle Rock State Park

This was a milestone outing as it was our first time outdoor rock climbing as a troop (other than summer camp.) We spent the day climbing at Castle Rock going up a 30-feet wall and then rappeling down a different 30-feet cliff. We also spent time bouldering and then backpacked to the camp about 2.6 miles away. The Philont crew used the outing to do a 9-mile backpack run on Sunday and took a little over 4 hours to do the hike. Scouts that did the rappell and backpacked in and out of the campsite completed requirement 9b (parts 2 & 6) Congratulations! We'll look for other opportunities in the future for climbing as we now have some equipment and trained instructors.

Wente Scout Reserve

By Praneeth
The Wente Scout Reservation is a 2200 acre plot of land with an 80 acre lake filled with bluegill and largemouth bass. The lake is a great place to go swimming, snorkeling, fishing, sailing, kayaking, canoeing, and rowing. You can have some of the best sailing experiences at the lake. My buddy and I were able to get the sailboat to an almost 90 degree angle without capsizing for close to 30 seconds. However, I ended up letting go of the tiller and falling out of the boat. My buddy soon capsized. At Wente
you don’t even have to worry about not being able to get a boat since there is plenty of each kind. Wente also has many open programs and activities. You could go rock climbing, rappelling, mountain biking, or even horse riding. Or you could shoot arrows, rifles, shotguns, and even black powder muskets. There is also special orienteering courses called the Kali Amas that you can do. The merit badge program at Wente is really good. You have to choose what merit badges you want to do before camp starts so that they can get as many counselors as needed. That way you can take whatever merit badges you want to take and are guaranteed a spot in the merit badges that you chose. We should come back next year so that we can get more merit badges and so that the people who have never been to Wente can experience the great fun you can have there.

By Parth
This was my first summer camp experience, and it was awesome. The merit badges were fun and the counselor's were nice. Many scouts were saying that Troop 905 was hard to beat, but this year we managed to beat them. Joey saved himself from being disqualified. John came up to our campsite and only revealed to us that the two top teams were in 3 seconds of each other, but wouldn't tell us who won. At the closing campfire it was declared that we won the Wentathalon and our whole troop was cheering. Everyone was happy. Many people in our troop made it to their next rank and some got close. As everyone made it to Finney Valley every patrol earned Honor Patrol and because of that our Troop earned Honor Troop.
I think we should go to Wente again next year. Wente, like everyone says, has the warmest water ever. We also get to hike the Kali-Ama and the King Kali-Ama. I don't think many other camps have orienteering courses. Wente also offers a variety of merit badges for scouts to choose from. I believe we should go to Wente again.

Camp Hi-Sierra July 2006
By Timothy F & Siddarth K

Nineteen scouts spent a week at our council's summer camp, Camp Hi-Sierra. Just like every year, we camped at the Sioux campsite. The scouts earned about 60 merit badges along with 26 partials. In addition to working on badges, the new scouts worked on the Trail-To-First-Class skills. We all had fun swimming, climbing, shooting, and playing Quiddich. We enjoyed daily campfires and delivered a funny skit at the Friday night, campwide campfire. Adithya Rao and Vipul Nataraj earned Chief in the Tribe of Hi-Sierra, while most other boys earned Brave, Warrior or Medicine Man,
keeping Mr. Kadiyala busy handing out beads all week. There was Vespers service on a couple of nights. Mr. Snyder accompanied three scouts on the early morning Polar Bear swim in the snow runoff! There were numerous service projects around the camp that the scouts participated in. On Friday there were the camp wide games which culminated in Mr. Snyder, once again, winning the scoutmaster's canoe race!

Klamath River Canoeing June 2006
By Srikanth

We started at Kennedy Middle School at around 8:15 and reached our campground at around 3:30 with 3 breaks including lunch. Once we arrived, we set up camp and had some free time. We also gathered in the parking lot to meet our instructors and get our helmet and life-vests. Our instructors were Neil with his daughter Rene and her husband Tom. The next morning, we woke up and ate breakfast. We got ready and left for our first day of canoeing. We learned how to sit in a canoe, take them out of the racks, and the different ways to paddle strokes. Then we set out right after a safety talk. Throughout the week, we learned about the different levels of the rapids, how to find and catch an eddie, and what to do if we capsize. We even learned of an un-runnable rapid down river called Ishi Pishi falls. On day 1 we did an easy run where we learned to steer, ferry, and catch eddies. The second day we did the same thing but went a bit farther and experienced more rapids. On the third and fourth day we went on the Sluice Box and Portuguese Creek rapids, both of which were class threes. But on the fourth day we also did the Granite Point rapids. On the last day of canoeing, we went on O’Neil creek, the Pyramid, and …Hamburg Falls!!!
At camp, every day we ate chips with salsa, played cards, some of us dug holes, and then we slept. On Friday, most of us packed our stuff and slept outside under the stars, all those who slept outside saw at least 1 shooting star. The next day we did a sweep and went home. We arrived back home at 3:00.

Del Valle Swimming/Boating June 2006
Del Valle Outing
By Siddarth K.

When we got there, we had to hike about 1/4 of a mile to get to our campsite from the cars. We had to take a few trips to get all the gear down. Our campsite was tick infested. Luckily, no one got hurt. There was a pond next to our campsite. There was no water at our campsite, so we had to use the pond water for cleaning. After we set up our tents, we went for a 3 mile hike. We took a wrong turn and it ended up to be a 5 mile hike. After the hike, we ate lunch. Then we went swimming. After swimming , we drove back to our campsite and started to cook and eat dinner. After that, we started to build the campfire. There was lots of dry weeds near the fire pit, which were tick infested. Still, we had to clear them out because they were extremely flammable. We roasted miniature marshmallows over the fire. At night, Mr. Snyder let us look through his telescope to see Mercury, Saturn, Venus, and Jupiter. Then we went to bed.

The next day, we packed up our tents, and had breakfast. Then scouts went boating or swimming. After that, we went home.

Snow Caving Outing March 2006

The snow-caving trip had high expectations for me. I had gone on almost the exact same trip two years ago, and it was a great time. I knew that this time would be just the same. After turning off the main highway, we all stopped to put on our snow-chains. It was a real bumpy ride going into camp. Luckily, everyone was able to make it through the snow so that we didn’t have to shuttle people.
The first step in building our cave was to select a site. My group and I tried to take our time on this because choosing the right site could drastically change the amount work there was to do. We decided to stake a claim close to the mess hall for convenience. We drew out a large square foundation that could have fit four people comfortably. We piled snow inside of the square and it gradually rose until it was adequate in height. After a little bit of tinkering with the overall shape, we added in our center pole and went to lunch, satisfied with our work.
It began to snow during lunch, but I decided that we should start working again. Unlike the previous time I had gone snow caving, we started to tunnel and hollow out our cave after a little over an hour instead of two hours. The snow had become hard to work with last time because it had settle and stuck together. We chose a corner of our square-like mound as a doorway and began to tunnel. It was slow going at first because there was little space to loosen up the snow and haul it out. But as we progressed, the quantities of snow we hauled out at a time grew. Eventually we were able to fit a sled into the doorway to load snow. While I chiseled off large chunks of the cave’s interior and loaded it onto the sled, Prithvi would haul it out and dump it elsewhere. One time the snow I carved out got stuck to the bottom of the hallway, making it impossible for me to get out. I needed a little assistance and would like
to thank the scouts who helped me out.
In the afternoon, our cave was big enough for two people so I made a drainage system and vent and we both made our beds. I later lit a candle in the cave to warm it up. By then it was almost dinnertime and I spent some time helping out on some other caves. I would especially like to thank Mr. Haas for helping build at least three caves. His support made the experience a lot more enjoyable for some of the scouts. We hauled in firewood from the cars on a sled and had a nice warm fire to go with
our meal of soup, salad, pasta, and garlic bread. After a nice campfire, we were all ready for bed. My cave had inherited a third person, so it was really cozy.
I woke up to find the walls of the cave a light whitish blue in the morning. Daylight was seeping through to the inside. There was a thin blanket of powder everywhere outside. After breakfast and dish cleanup, we had to dismantle our caves. I was a little sad to do so, but in the process we realized how thick our walls were. From the outside, our cave looked big, but was much smaller on the side. Maybe
that’s why it was so warm! I proposed that we could use the snow caves as bases for our snowball fight.
Since there were two good-sized caves down near the river, we used those. After carving off the tops, we had our forts and it was the older scouts versus the younger scouts and the adults. It was really fun. After cleaning up the mess hall, we loaded up and headed home. We all had a great time.

Wente Summer Camp August 2005

Wente Summer Camp
By Aditya

Wente Summer Camp this year was exciting in many ways. Every day had its share of suspense. Most scouts were busy completing a merit badge or finishing requirements for rank advancements. However, if for some reason you finished early, there was always something to do. Wente is a very large reservation, and there are trails, which lead to Kali Ama posts. Kali Ama posts are placed somewhere along the many trails through the reservation. You are given a topographic map, which have dots placed where the Kali Ama Posts are located. I believe our troop had the most kids complete the Kali Ama's.

On Sunday night there was a big Welcome to Wente campfire. Staff members put up skits for all the troops to watch while enjoying two huge bonfires. Monday was our official first day of merit badge classes and eagle trail classes. Tuesday night, we had our troop outpost. It was the Mountaineering outpost. Our troop went to the climbing rock at about 4:30 p.m. We all got to choose 2 out of 4 available climbing spots and climb. After climbing/rappelling, we had a delicious pasta and garlic bread meal. On Wednesday, instead of eating lunch in the dining hall, we had a lunch across the lake. Each member of our troop got to choose to Kayak, Canoe, or take a Rowboat, across the 70-acre lake. We boated across the lake to a nice picnic spot where we made sandwiches. On Wednesday night some of the scouts went on the overnight Risin W' Corral ride. They got to ride a horse on a trail for about 2 hours, stop at outpost where they ate delicious steak, beans, and salad. They slept under the stars that night and woke up early in the morning so they could take a 45-minute ride back to camp just before flags. Thursday afternoon our troop had a service project. We had to clean the Madrone showers. Friday afternoon our troop had a troop shoot. Each scout took a turn at shooting a 22-caliber rifle. That night we had a huge camp barbeque. The kitchen staff made delicious burgers for the whole camp. That night we also had our closing campfire.

There were some wonderful skits put up by the counselors and at the end scouts from different years at Wente were each taken to different place and awarded their Finney Valley if they completed the requirements. Saturday morning was our last day at camp. Our troop raised the colors in front of the whole camp that morning. Overall I personally think that the summer camp trip was a great trip for new scouts, first years, and second years. Everyone learned so much, however the learning experience was not always in a positive way. During the trip, some very expensive items were stolen and thrown into the latrine. Our troop was also late to not only troop flags but also to camp flags a few times. These are negative experiences, however at the end we all learned our lesson. We would also like to thank Richard Kurasaki who came to join our troop at Wente because he could not go with his troop.

Next year I strongly encourage even more scouts to go to Wente, it's a wonderful weeklong experience.

4:07 PM - 07 October 2005 - Seong Y.
Yosemite June 2005

Half Dome
By Paul B.

Half Dome is one of the many wonders of Yosemite. It is a long and rigorous hike to get to half dome and the rock itself is ominous and takes some courage to get up. It is necessary to have incredible strength, courage, and determination. Not only is this hike extremely tiring, but also requires tremendous amount of preparation.

Whether you are doing it all in one day or you plan to stay over night, it's beautiful either way. I went on the overnight and it was a very unique experience. We left early on Thursday morning from our campsite in Wawona and drove to our starting point. We started at about 11:00AM and backpacked up to Little Yosemite Valley. We then hiked over to the base of Moraine Dome where we slept for the night.

The campsite we stayed at was fantastic. There were a few choices all along the riverside. However, we decided that we wanted the one with fewer mosquitoes and that happened to be the one right next to the river. Right next to our campsite was a massive water slide fed by the Merced River. It was just 12 miles from Merced Lake, where the headwaters for the Merced River lies. That night we went to bed relatively early and woke up the next morning we set out for Half Dome.

We had to backpack out of our camp and find an unoccupied bear locker in Little Yosemite Valley to store our packs in. We then traveled to Half Dome. On the way up to Half Dome, you encounter a long set of neatly carved steps called The Stairs. In my opinion, these were actually harder then the climb up Half Dome itself. Once you got to the top of the Stairs, you could see the great ominous rock lying straight in front of you.

We took a little rest stop to eat some lunch and made our way up Half Dome. Once we got up there, there was a lot of space to move around. There was even snow left on top. It was a magnificent view of the entire valley from the top and it was definitely worth the 22 miles of hiking 15 or so of which were backpacking.

Once we got back to the cars, we decided to stop for some well-deserved pizza. Unfortunately, the bear problem in Curry Village led us to carrying our backpacks without choice; the backpacks literally felt like carrying a sofa behind our backs by now. So, we had to backpack to our pizza. A small price to pay for a long yearned for treat. If I was asked to hike up to the Half Dome, I'd submit in a heartbeat.

Last Updated on June 28, 2009